Home Sweet Home


I was overjoyed when I checked the school placement portal and discovered that I had been accepted into one of the nation's most prestigious Senior High Schools. It wasn't just about the school, but also the opportunity to go home for the first time in my life. I had always longed to visit my village, but the chance never arose until after Junior Secondary School (J.S.S), when I was given the opportunity to study in my village and continue my family's legacy at that school.

Before then, I had experienced a series of disappointments from family members who had promised to take me there. However, the chance finally came, and what was once joy turned sour because my expectations were not met. Nevertheless, as time passed, I came to enjoy every aspect of home, from the local dishes to the local beer and the culture. Watching my people dance and sing traditional tunes was always a delight, so I never missed the annual festival throughout my five-year stay at home.

I made friends who changed my perspective on life. Having the opportunity to tutor some of my brothers and sisters, who have now climbed the academic ladder to the top, with others doing well in other fields of work, was a delight. They made me understand that genuine efforts are never wasted. I had the best moments of my youthful life at home and would love to return at any opportune time.

Leaving home for a foreign land, where I struggle to contribute my quota fully to my people, often reminds me of an old school song, "Same Train Oh Carry Me Home." No matter the situation or where I find myself, I will forever be grateful to my home for being my sweet home.

Comments

Unknown said…
An awesome piece of work.
Salilo said…
Interesting piece ♥

Popular posts from this blog

The Epitome of Love and Humanity: A Tribute to a Remarkable Man

Paths Intersected: Stories of Serendipitous Bonds

A Connection Beyond First Impressions